"Hier staunt der Laie und Fachmann wundert sich."

Samstag, Juni 14, 2008

Mythbuntu / Mythtv and Ubuntu

It's been a while. Last year, the xmltv scripts for the German EPG tvtoday broke and nobody seemed to be able to fix them. Having no time to fiddle with them myself I decided to give MediaPortal (for Windows) a try. Well. What can I say? It is fairly easy to get started and some things are really easy to set up (e.g. hibernate and wake up, WLAN (I keep having with my USB stick under Linux)). But other things just drove me crazy. (EPG randomly being off by one day, random freezes etc.) What bugged me most was the overall sluggish interface.

I wanted back my old MythTV. And here I am. This time I chose Mythbuntu instead of Knoppmyth and I can say that I am very pleased with the result. I am using v. 8.04 ("hardy heron"). Besides my usual problems (WLAN + WPA on a Linksys WUSB54G v1 not working reliably) I cannot complain.

Here is small note to myself and whoever is interessted about the correct settings for an old ASUS K8N (nforce3 250 chipset) to get it working with acpi-wakeup correctly. This is true for BIOS version 1009 (briefly displayed at the bottom when entering the BIOS setup), I don't know about the more recent versions.

- DISABLE RTC wake-up in the BIOS (yes, DISABLE!)
- Follow instructions from the Ubuntu-Documentation

Labels: , , ,