"Hier staunt der Laie und Fachmann wundert sich."

Freitag, Mai 20, 2005

Kernel 2.6: Troubleshooting Mouse Troubles

With the new kernel (2.6.11.10 upgraded from 2.4) I noticed a very annoying change with the mice I use. I have a (built-in) touchpad, a (USB) trackball, and a (USB) mouse which I have all connected at the same time because I actually use them (except for the touchpad, but I can't remove that). With 2.4 I had no problem at all but with 2.6 I started to get double-clicks even though I single-clicked. This happened with any of the three input devices. I quick google search (double click single kernel 2.6) pointed me (indirectly) to the solution. If you are plagued by the same or similar symptoms and are using 2.6, have a look at the 2.6 Input drivers FAQ.
In a nutshell, this is what I did: The problem was in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Starting with kernel 2.6 only one input device section is needed for all mice. So I commented out all input sections pertaining to mice except the one with /dev/input/mice. (Please note: This may break your x-configuration, which means that you may not be able to start into the gui. So make a backup of any files you change.) In that section, I added the following:
Option "CorePointer" "true"
I also commented out any "Option 'SendCoreEvents'". Then I went to the server-layout section and commented out any input devices that I had commented out earlier. This left me with only one input device for all my mice (and, of course, another one for my keyboard). I then restarted X and now everything is bold again.